Hey guys! 23 days left until Christmas! Today’s recipe is a breakfast one that is perfectly decadent for Christmas morning! This is my strawberry shortcake French Toast; it’s definitely a treat so enjoy sparingly!
Strawberry Shortcake French Toast (Serves four)
For the Bread:
- Eight slices of stale bread
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup (59ml) milk
- 1/2 tablespoon (4g) cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons (16g) sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon (7g) vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 cup/ 8 oz (120g) cream cheese
- About 10 strawberries (diced small)
- 1 tablespoon (8g) sugar
For the Coating:
- Two packs graham crackers (not two boxes)
- 2 tsps. cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (8g) sugar (optional)
- Oil, for cooking (any flavorless oil will do)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
For the dipping mixture:
1. In a square pan (or large bowl), mix together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt, sugar, and vanilla together until well combined and set it aside.
For the filling:
1. In a small bowl, mix together the strawberries, sugar and cream cheese together and set aside.
For the coating: In another square pan, Mix together the graham crackers, cinnamon and sugar if using.
Assemble the French Toast:
1. Spread the strawberry mixture on one slice of bread and put another on top.
2. Dip well in the egg mixture until both sides are coated.
3. Then, coat the bread in the graham cracker crumbs.
4. Fry on low for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown (don’t walk away or the graham crackers will burn)!
5. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
Cool, top with powdered sugar and serve!
MAKE IT VEGAN:
For the eggs, use 12 tbs. (180ml) of JUST egg (vegan egg substitute)
For the milk, any plant milk will work
For the cream cheese, use a vegan cream cheese (Daiya and Kite Hill are good brands)