Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a great weekend. For today’s recipe, I wanted to share a breakfast recipe that is sure to start off your weekend right. These blueberry buttermilk pancakes are soft and extremely fluffy thanks to science: the baking soda and buttermilk cause the fluffiest reaction the batter that results in some really good pancakes. Don’t be confined to just blueberries though- you add whatever toppings you’d like! Chocolate chips, banana and sautéed apples are some of my favorites. Enjoy!
Blueberry Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
Makes: 6- 1/4 cup sized pancakes
- 1 cup (125g) all purpose flour
- 2 tbs. (25g) sugar
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 2 tsps. nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs (28g) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup (177ml) milk (I used 2%, but any is fine)
- 2 tsps white vinegar
- Butter, to serve
- Maple syrup, to serve
Make the buttermilk:
1. Add the milk to the vinegar.
2. Let it sit for five minutes or until curdled.
Make the pancakes:
1. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
2. Make a well in the center of the bowl and add the egg. Mix the egg into the dry mixture until it looks like a shaggy dough.
3. Add the milk and gently mix.
4. Add the melted butter and mix until just combined- do not over mix the batter, it should not be completely smooth.
5. Let the batter rest for five minutes.
6. Heat a griddle to 300°F (149° C).
7. Scoop the batter onto the griddle; after a couple of seconds, add y the blueberries. (If your blueberries are sour, you can add a little bit of sugar to them before adding them to the pancakes).
8. Cook the pancakes for about 2 minutes; flip the pancakes and cook for another two minutes or until completely cooked.
Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup if desired.
MAKE IT VEGAN: check out my recipe for vegan pancakes that are just as good: https://madebybernadine.com/2018/05/03/vegan-pancakes/
If you make this recipe, please tag me on Instagram @madebybernadine so I see it! Let me know in the comments what you would like to see me make next!