Hello everyone! Hope you’re doing well. For today’s recipe, I wanted to share a recipe my mom passed down to me; she developed this amazing recipe during quarantine when my family stopped buying bread from the store. Honestly, this is THE fluffiest bread I’ve ever tasted, it’s almost flaky really. I know you all would love this bread recipe, it’s truly like no other; the kitchen becomes filled with the most amazing smell as the bread cooks, and it’s so delicious soft and fresh out of the oven. You guys have to try this recipe and let me know what you think! Enjoy!
Sandwich Bread Rolls Recipe:
Makes around 80 depending on the size
2 cups (480g) of butter
1 cup (240ml) of canola oil
1-1/2 cups (360ml) evaporated milk
5-1/2 cups (1320ml) water
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
2 tablespoons of yeast
12lb (5040g) all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of ginger powder
1. Melt the butter in a large pot on low heat and add the rest of the wet ingredients with the sugar. Stir until combined.
2. Add the flour into a large bowl and add the yeast with the salt; mix.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and knead for around 10 minutes until the dough forms.
4. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise for 45 minutes to an hour.
5. Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a clean surface and cut the dough into portion sizes (the size depends on your preference).
5. Shape the cut dough into rounds, ovals or the shape that you’d like.
6. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten out the individual pieces of bread.
7. Cover the flattened out bread and let it rise for another ten minutes.
8. While the dough is rising for the last time, preheat the oven to 260° degrees (this is very specific for a reason!).
9. Place the bread dough straight onto clean oven racks and let them cook for about 5 minutes on each side (keep an eye on them or they’ll burn!)
10. Once the bread is done cooking (it should take around an hour total for all of them), let them cool for a couple of minutes.
11. Once the bread is cool, slice them through the middle and store in the fridge.
Enjoy as is, or in a sandwich!
MAKE IT VEGAN:
For the butter, use a vegan butter (earth balance is my favorite)
For the evaporated milk, plant milk should work
To store, cut the bread into slices and freeze for up to about a month, but they could probably last longer. To reheat, just toast the bread! It freezes perfectly.
This recipe can be cut easily in half or smaller if it’s too big for your liking!
If you make this bread (which I hope you do!) tag me on Instagram @madebybernadine and let me know how it turned out!