Hello everyone! For toady’s recipe, I thought I’d share a classic and versatile recipe: caramel sauce! This can be used for so many different desserts and sweet treats; if you read my last post, this is the caramel sauce I used on top of my apple crisp! It’s sweet with a slightly salty edge; it’s also super easy to make and only 5 ingredients; Enjoy!
CARAMEL SAUCE VIDEO TUTORIAL:
Caramel Sauce Recipe:
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbs. (30ml) water
- 1 tsp. (5ml) lemon juice
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt if using
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) milk
- 1 tbsp. (15g) butter
- In a medium sized pot on low heat, add the sugar, water and lemon juice; stir until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Bring the heat up to medium high and let the sugar mixture start to boil. (If you are noticing sugar crystals at the sides of the pan, use a spoon/silicone brush and some water to wipe them away, otherwise the caramel will crystallize).
- At this point, DO NOT STIR.
- Continue to let the caramel boil until it reaches a golden brown color, swirling the pan to distribute the color evenly.
- As soon as the caramel reaches the desired color, remove it from the stove top immediately (it will continue to cook so just turning off the fire is not enough).
- Add the milk very carefully and stir into the caramel.
- Add the butter and salt (if using), and stir for a final time.
- Let the caramel cool for a few minutes and it’s ready to use.
- This recipe makes a batch of caramel that is on the smaller side; it can be doubled or tripled to fit your needs.
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the butter, use vegan butter (Earth Balance is good brand)
- For the milk, any plant milk should work (just add it a little bit at a time so the sauce doesn’t get too thin)
If you make this recipe, let me know! I’d love to see what you used it for; tag me on Instagram @madebybernadine and be sure to follow this blog if you haven’t already for more easy recipes!