Hello everyone, I hope you’re doing well! When I came back to blogging, the first recipe I posted was for whole wheat sandwich bread. And while I prefer to eat wheat bread more often, you can’t go wrong with a deliciously freshly baked white loaf! This is especially perfect for picky little kids who don’t like wheat flour (I might have some experience with certain people in my household 😅). Whatever the case may be, this bread is a great option all around, and the perfect vessel for all of your toppings! It’s a great example of simple ingredients come together to form a great recipe. You can even eat this bread plain as I’ve done, because it tastes great! This recipe is also family critic approved, and if you cook as much as I do, you will know that is a must! However you choose to enjoy it, I really hope you try out this bread for yourself, it’s definitely worth it and doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare at at all; enjoy!
WHITE SANDWICH BREAD VIDEO TUTORIAL:
White Sandwich Bread Recipe
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups of all purpose flour (600-660g)
- 3 tbs. of granulated sugar (37-1/2 g)
- 4- 1/2 tsps. yeast (2 packets)
- 2 tsps. salt
- 1-1/2 cups of warm water (350ml)
- 1/2 cup warm milk (120ml)
- 2-1/2 tbs. butter, melted (37-1/2 ml)
- In a large bowl, add two cups of the flour, then add the sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the yeast to the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the water, milk, and 2 tbs. of the the butter. Mix the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture; add enough flour until a dough comes together.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until it forms a smooth ball.
- Let the dough rise covered with a clean kitchen towel in a lightly oiled bowl for 45 minutes in a warm place, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl; on a lightly floured surface, fold the dough into a rectangle and DIVIDE IT IN HALF.
- Place one half of the dough it into a lightly oiled loaf pan. Let the dough rise for an additional 45 minutes in the loaf pan, covered with a clean kitchen towel, or until the dough had doubled in size.
- At this point, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake the bread for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with the other half of the two, to get two loaves total.
- Remove the bread from the pan by running a knife around the sides and invert onto a wire rack to let cool completely before slicing and serving.
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the butter, use a vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite vegan butter brand).
If you make this recipe, please let me know by tagging me on Instagram @madebybernadine! Let me know in the comments if you tried this recipe and what you thought about it. As always, let me know in the comments if there is any specific recipe you would like to see! If you like my blog, follow for more declines recipes and be sure to follow my Instagram as well! Until next time!