This post is in collaboration with Smitha, of Smitha’s Bake Love.
Head on over to her site to see what she’s making with cranberries!
Hello everyone! For today’s post, I decided to make something with Thanksgiving in mind: baked apples! This recipe is incredibly easy, like a pie or a crisp. If you apple desserts, you’re sure to enjoy this topped with ice cream or whipped cream. Consider making this for Thanksgiving dessert if you need inspiration; Enjoy!
Caramel Baked Apples Recipe:
Makes 6 half apple servings
For the apples:
- 3 gala apples
- 1 tbs. (11g) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the topping:
- 8 tbs. (120g) butter
- 3/4 cup (90g) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (65g) quick cooking oats
- 2/3 cup 120g) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Fresh whipped cream
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce (see my easy recipe here: https://madebybernadine.com/2020/11/11/caramel-sauce-recipe-video-tutorial-included/)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to fit 6 apple halves.
- Cut the apples in half and core out the centers. Arrange the apple halves on the baking sheet, cut side up. Spread the 1 tbs. of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon over the apples.
- For the topping, in a medium sized bowl mix the topping ingredients together until a crumble like consistency forms.
- Divide the topping between the apples, lightly pressing down.
- Bake the apples for 25 minutes covered with aluminum foil; then uncover the apples and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
- Top with whipped cream or ice cream, and caramel sauce.
- Old fashioned oats can be used in this recipe as well.
- If you need to visualize making a crumble, check out my recipe for apple crisp here: https://madebybernadine.com/2020/11/09/easy-apple-crisp-recipe-video-tutorial-included/
- You can use my firm apple here, such as Granny Smith or Fuji
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the butter, use vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite brand)