Hello everyone and Happy December! Isn’t it crazy that we’re already here? Today’s recipe is for delicious cornbread with an even more delicious twist- brown butter! If you’ve never heard of brown butter, it’s basically melted butter cooled to the point that it browns and releases this amazing caramel-like aroma and flavor. It adds so much to desserts especially which is why I love using it here! As for the cornbread, I love making this year round because it’s my favorite way to enjoy cornmeal. Like many of my recipes, this one requires only one bowl and few ingredients that you probably have in your pantry right now. Give this one a try and you’ll be solved on brown butter for life! Enjoy! (P.S.- if you’re not following me on Instagram, @madebybernadine yet, what are you waiting for? I’m currently doing ‘postmas’ on my page where I’ll be sharing recipes you won’t see here, so if you don’t want to miss out on easy and delicious recipes, be sure to follow me there as well and share my page with others! Yesterday I posted my favorite recipe for delicious hot cocoa, perfect for the cold weather. Head on over to check it out!)
Brown Butter Cornbread Video Tutorial:
Brown Butter Cornbread Recipe:
- 1 cup (120g) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (160g) cornmeal
- 1/3 cup (60g) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300ml) buttermilk *
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and browned *
- 2 eggs *
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly butter an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan (or a muffin tin if you prefer).
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add the eggs and the rest of the ingredients; mix to combine until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges are brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving plain, or with butter/honey if desired.
- Buttermilk can be made easily by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to the milk; let it sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Brown butter is made by melting the butter and then continuing to cook it for 5-10 minutes or until it’s a golden brown color. Let it cool for 5 minutes before using, and get all of the bits at the bottom when you use it too!
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the eggs, use 90ml of JUST egg (vegan egg substitute)
- For the buttermilk, replace the milk with plant milk such as almond.
- For the butter, use equal parts melted vegan butter (my favorite brand is Earth Balance).
Did you make this recipe? If so, be sure to tag me on Instagram @madebybernadine (follow me on Instagram for bonus content as well)! Be sure to follow this blog so you never miss a recipe!