Hello everyone! Hope you’re having a wonderful day. Today’s recipe is for one of my new favorite pies, sweet potato! Don’t get me wrong, I’m a pecan pie girl through and through, but sweet potato pie will always have a special place in my heart. Sweet potatoes are so perfect for baking with their flavor, and adding spices really brings it all together! This pie is super easy and comes together pretty quickly. The longest part is boiling the sweet potato! This is the perfect holiday pie, too. Enjoy!
SWEET POTATO PIE VIDEO TUTORIAL:
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe:
Makes 1 9-inch pie
- 2 large sweet potatoes, boiled until very soft (about 2 cups mashed or 300g)
- 8 tablespoons (120ml) butter, melted
- 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup (120ml) evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out the pie dough to 12 inches; place the dough in the pie plate and pinch the edges if you wish. Put the crust in the refrigerator until it is ready to be filled.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and add the eggs; mix until well combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go. (Reserve 1/4 cup of sugar for the top of the pie).
- Pour the filling into the crust and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar on top.
- Bake the pie for 55-60 minutes or until the center is set and the crust is golden (if the crust starts to get too brown, remove the pie from the oven and put an aluminum foil shield over the crust).
- Allow the pie to cool for at least two hours until attempting to cut and serve.
- Top with desired toppings and serve.
- Fresh is always best, however if you don’t want to boil the sweet potatoes you can use canned sweet potatoes.
- Store the pie in the fridge for up to three days.
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the butter, use vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite vegan butter brand).
- For the milk, use plant based milk such as almond.
- For the eggs, use 6tbs. (90ml) JUST egg (vegan egg substitute)
If you make this recipe, please let me know by tagging me (and following me) on Instagram @madebybernadine.
If you have any future recipe suggestions/comments, don’t hesitate to let me know below!