Hello everyone and happy Sunday! The weekends always remind of breakfast, and today I wanted to make some blueberry scones. Problem was, I looked into my fridge in horror as I realized I was out of eggs! However, I was not about to let that stop me from enjoying some freshly baked scones! So what did I do? I made them without! Don’t get me wrong, I had to replace the egg somehow . I decided the best fit for this recipe would be a chia egg, made from chia seeds and water. I have egg substitutions on all my recipes, and this was an example of when I really use them! The chia seeds thicken up and add the egg factor that is needed. These aren’t completely vegan, but (as always) I have the full substitutions for that down below. If you or someone you know is allergic to eggs, give these scones a try! (And honestly I’d make these again even when I have eggs). Enjoy!
EGG FREE BLUEBERRY SCONES VIDEO TUTORIAL:
Egg Free Blueberry Scones (makes 4 scones*)
- 1 cup (120g) flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 1/2 tbs. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 (60g) cup cold butter
- 1 tablespoon (10g) chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (50g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- Turbinado sugar for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds and water. Set it aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients together.
- Grate the butter on the large side of a box grater.
- Add the butter to the dry mixture and mix together with a fork.
- Add the wet ingredients including the chia egg and mix together with a spatula.
- Add the blueberries and fold into the scone dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and form into a disk.
- Cut the dough into four pieces and add them onto a lightly oiled pan. Sprinkle each scone with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the scones for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set the scones on a cooling for 10 minutes.
- This recipe makes four scones, however it can be easily doubled or tripled to fit however many you need.
MAKE IT (FULLY) VEGAN:
- For the butter, use vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite vegan butter brand).
- For the heavy cream, use plant milk such as almond
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know by tagging me on Instagram @madebybernadine! Have a recipe suggestion? Leave me a comment below, I’d to hear it!