Hello everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving with those you celebrated with. I’m so excited for today’s recipe because although it’s a basic recipe, it’s the foundation for many posts to come; not to mention we are officially in the holiday season! I cannot wait to share all of my favorite holiday recipes with you all. As for today, I’m sharing the best and flakiest pie crust there is. I kid you not, this is the best pie crust you will ever make! With just a few simple ingredients, you can make a really good crust; and it’s make with all butter for a better flavor and texture. I use this pie crust for every one of my pies without fail. This recipe is foolproof and never does me wrong so I know it won’t let you down either! This past Thanksgiving I made three pies and this crust was the star in every one of them. After making this it, you’ll know what I mean!
How to make the Flakiest All Butter Pie Crust:
Start by adding the dry ingredients into a bowl.
Then add the most of the COLD butter and cut it into the flour using a pastry cutter or your hands.
Now, add the rest of the flour on top and continue mixing.
Add the shredded butter; mix.
Add the ice water; mix together with a spatula.
Place the dough onto some plastic wrap and using it, form the dough into a disk.
Chill the dough for at least two hours before using. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly before rolling.
Tada! Here’s the pie crust before being baked. I’d suggest keeping it in the fridge until you’re ready to fill it so the butter doesn’t melt.
The Flakiest All Butter Pie Crust Recipe:
Makes 1 9- inch pie crust
- 10 tbs. (142g) unsalted, cold butter
- 1-1/4 cups (177g) all purpose flour, divided
- 1 tbs. (13g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) cold water
- Grate two tablespoons of the butter on the large side of a box grater. Put it in the freezer and cut the remaining butter into small cubes. Place the remaining butter in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a medium sized bowl, add 1 cup of the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Add the butter cubes from the fridge and cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- Add the rest of the flour on top of the mixture and lightly mix.
- Add the shredded butter to the bowl and cut it into the flour mixture until the dough resembles pebbles.
- Add the ice water and mix with a spatula until the dough comes together (it will be on the wetter side).
- Turn the dough out onto some plastic wrap and use the sides of the plastic wrap to form the dough into a disk.
- Chill the pie crust for at least two hours (I like to make the crust the day before I plan to use it) before rolling.
- When ready to use, set the crust on the counter for 5-10 minutes to lightly soften.
- Use as desired and enjoy!
MAKE IT VEGAN:
- For the butter, use vegan butter (Earth Balance is my favorite vegan butter brand)l
I hope you guys consider making this pie crust next time you need one, it’s truly life changing! If you do make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @madebybernadine and follow me there if you haven’t already! New to this blog? Follow for more delicious recipes and helpful tips.